Pages

Tuesday 1 July 2014

Lemon Cake - The best you've ever had


I was going through my freezer and forgot I had lemon curd in there (I made it a while ago!). I had a dinner party, and a family lunch the next day so I made a big batch of lemon cake.

I found this recipe and was really excited to make it. I adjusted a few things and make it 100% better (Ha, in my humble opinion, and those of my family, that couldn't get enough of it!)


Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter , softened - (I used veggie oil)
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
5 tablespoons lemon juice - (I used 6 tbsp of lemon curd)
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons lemon zest - (I didn't put any in, it was already in the curd)

Icing - (I doubled the recipe, I love a lot of icing!)
1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter , softened
2 tablespoons lemon juice - (I used 2-4 tbsp of lemon curd)
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest - (I didn't use this, it was already in the lemon curd)
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
Additional lemon juice or milk , as needed



Instructions:

Step 1
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 10 x 10 in. pan with vegetable pan spray.

Step 2
 In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; mix well. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, lemon juice and vanilla; mix until smooth. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon zest. Place batter in prepared pan.

Step 3
Bake 30-33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on cooling rack. Remove from pan; cool completely.

Step 4
For icing, beat shortening and butter in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add lemon juice and zest; mix well. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. If icing is dry, add additional lemon juice or milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Color as desired with icing color. Ice cake and if desired, garnish with fresh lemon zest curls and mint.

I thought the above cake was pretty, this picture (below) is what it really looks like.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments and feedback! I enjoy reading each one :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...